Studying abstract art with Amira Rahim

Studying art with Amira Rahim, one of the best-selling abstract artists, is really an exciting stretch for me and something that is consuming, in a way that's both good and not-so-good. I do have some pieces to show you but it's a little embarrassing to show work that's in flux, but I think that's fine. If I show it to you know maybe you will better appreciate that it's not just talent or random luck that produces a body of work; but lots of hard work and soul searching and even mistakes. I am a figurative painter, trying to learn how to paint more expressively through the study of abstract art. I'm not totally sold on abstract art as my expressive tool, but I am open to learning how to do it. It's my hope that it will open me up to a new way of painting that is totally my own and that will sell in today's market. My goal is to have one finished piece in a new style to display at my next art show in August in Maine. I hope that you will follow me on this journey, from figurative painter to something new. Thank you.

The first two are from a work by the amazing Betty Krause, I cut and copied these squares to the best of my ability from her piece "Abundance".  The nuances and layers in her work are amazing. 
Based on Betty Krause's work "Abundance"

Based on Betty Krause's work "Abundance"
Then we were asked to try to make an abstract study using travel photos as our inspiration. Mine were too literal, I think, until I got to my third try which was based on a study of the lava fields in Kauai. Everything is painted in acrylic which is also new to me!
This is from a beach on Crete, Greece which looks absolutely heavenly!

This one is from another beach and I don't really think that it's abstract enough, but I am hoping that it's something that appeals. 
This is the painting based on the lava field that feels more abstract, getting somewhere!
Here's another one where I tried "abstracting" (is that even a word?) the abstract beach on the top from Crete. I need to keep working and trying new things. Sometimes it's hard to find enough time in the day but I am trying and I believe that if I give myself permission, it will happen. :)

Comments

Popular Posts