"For Frida" new painting in "Dog Days of Summer" show

Yeah, one of my latest paintings "For Frida" has been accepted into an online show at the Porter Mill Studios in Beverly! Check it out here, https://studiosportermill.wixsite.com/website/dog-days-of-summer?pgid=kekh73xt-b9d67f62-943d-4607-9054-f5a84590ec6c Even more importantly for animal lovers, if you buy it now 25% of the purchase goes towards supporting New England's largest no-kill shelter. And Frida loved her animals you know. ;)


This 24" x 18" painting is very colorful and fun just like the woman who inspired it. I've seen Kahlo's art at the Museum of Fine Arts, and in my opinion does stand the test of time. It's very intimate and interesting with many layers of meaning. I love how honest she was in her art. She is a real beacon for many women artists that I know because of her strength, talent, beauty and beliefs. 

In this pieces I tried to represent her through the colors of Mexico, many brights and fluorescent colors blend together in the background, contrasting with the turquoise jewelry in the foreground. This earring is one of a pair that I wore a couple of years back as a Mexican day of the dead figure. I have had a fascination with Mexico ever since going to Oaxaca on an art trip with Massachusetts College of Art. It was a fascinating trip where we were introduced to so many artisans and indigenous crafts from paper-making to sculpture to weaving and making die out of cochineal. It was an experience of a lifetime I realize now.

The gallery is closed but please check out the online show, I am proud to be a part of this stellar show called "Dog Days of Summer". https://studiosportermill.wixsite.com/website/dog-days-of-summer

Thank you to -

Gallery 95 at Porter Mill. 95 Rantoul Street, Beverly, MA 01915, www.PorterMillStudios.com

Comments

Popular Posts