Artist Statement and recent works

So here's something I'm trying out for size. It's an Artist Statement, urk, the words strike dread in my heart. It sounds so high-falutin or something, I just think it's going to be wrong. Well anyway it is something that you have to apply for residencies, grants, exhibitions, etc. so I gave it a college try. What do you think? I'm going to throw some pretty pictures in here too so you don't get too bored reading this. ;) These are all recent works from the end of 2020 - 2021. Thanks for your support! 😁 







Tina Rawson

Artist Statement

I began creating art at my little desk as a child in Pittsburgh, PA. It helped me process my feelings as my parents navigated their divorce and it bolstered my self-esteem when I got praise from my peers. I loved sinking into the story behind the piece and losing myself in the process of making it. We moved to Sweden when I was 13 and I kept making art as a way to connect to myself and the changing environment in which I found myself. I studied humanities at a Swedish high school with the “aesthetic focus” meaning lots of art. Leaving Sweden I adapted again, I studied education in the States after traveling through Europe, but I never stopped creating art. I have learned that I need to express myself through art, it gives me great satisfaction, and I love passing that feeling on to my students.

I am influenced by Vincent Van Gogh, Emil Nolde, and Marc Chagall for his use of story and optimism. I love to use colors and movement in my art, and I enjoy working in nature and often use it as a subject matter, whether it be a landscape, an ocean scene, or a horse in a field. Recently due to Covid and the lockdown I felt very disconnected, so I challenged that and made twelve portraits of friends in beautiful natural locations in and around Newburyport – one from each sign of the zodiac. It was a great way for me to get to know them on a deeper level and to not give up on friendship. I felt really good about my series entitled “Constellation of Friends” which took a long time to create in 2020 and for which I received accolades as well created a beautiful exhibit on YouTube.

When I create art, I wish to enter an emotional state that comes through in my work. I infuse my work with love, beauty and hope. I like to see beauty in my pieces as well as movement. The purpose of my work is to connect with the viewers with art that will stand the test of time; while still being contemporary and uplifting in its approach. I like to try new acrylic medium, colors and techniques such scraping, or using crackle paste while still creating beautiful oils. Sweden is a big inspiration as is Little Compton in Rhode Island, and the beach. I love a good line; I like strong women and I like to create work that is fun too, like painting shoes or fashion. For me painting has been a wonderful way to reach beyond my limitations; and to help access the magic and beauty that is around us and in us.  

Comments

Popular Posts